Monday, November 24, 2008

Underrated: The Yankee Pot Roast Book of Awesome, Underappreciated Stuff


I was at the library the other day and I saw the book: Underrated: The Yankee Pot Roast Book of Awesome, Underappreciated Stuff. It looked interesting, so I decided to take it out. I am kind of glad that I did. The book uses a rating system derived from commercial success, critical success, cultural success, and how cool the thing is to determine how underrated a thing is. While it makes an attempt to categorize how underrated something is, it really is subjective.

I agree with the book on somethings, for example: I really like the movies Angus, Gross Pointe Blank, and Mallrats. I find Puffins (the birds) to be underrated, at least when compared to Penguins. Tecmo Super Ball was my favorite of all video football games even though latter games had better graphics, more choices of plays, and are more challenging.

The majority of the things brought up in the book I had no opinion on or didn't even know about in the first place. It good to learn about new things, even if they are just popular culture (or in this case not as popular as the authors thinks these things should be). I learned several things from this book for example that there was new episodes of Futurama. Some examples of things that I do/did not know enough about to form an opinion or know about at all are:

Some television shows on cable like The Jon Stewart Show and Lucky Louie. I do not have cable and even if I did it is unlikely that I would pay extra for premium channels like HBO. I have seen some cable television shows though via other peoples house's, DVD, and the internet on occasion.

Some of the foods mentioned: Diet Dr Pepper - I do not drink or eat 'diet' things and I do not like carbonated beverages so have not tried diet Dr Pepper. McDonald's sweet and sour sauce - I don't go to McDonalds and even when I did I wouldn't get this since I don't eat chicken. Have never seen or heard of Ellio's Frozen Pizza's. et cetra.

Other things were before my time, or in the case of many of them, at a time when I was too young to be interested in them. For example, Good Times which aired before I was born.

No comments: