Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mardi Gras and Animal Crossing City Folk

Mardi Gras is not a big event for me. The only thing I do to celebrate this day is eat a few Paczki. I have told myself that I want to go to a Mardi Gras event some time, just to experience it, but whenever Fat Tuesday comes around I never do. There are several events in the local area, none of which are free, there is even a jazz club, a pizza place, and a restaurant named Mardi Gras. Part of the reason I don't, besides cost, is because the events all are things I do not do. I don't drink alcohol, dance, listen to jazz music, and am not really very fond of Cajun food. While there are at least two places that has Mardi Gras events (New Orleans food, Jazz music, etc.) on a nearly weekly basis I haven't gone to them either.

What I did do was play Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Nintendo Wii. I got a Wii for Christmas the year before last and Animal Crossing last Christmas. I don't play the Wii very often, partly because my favorite game type is role playing (not a huge selection of RPG's on this system) and partly because I haven't been playing video games all that often in general lately. For those who may read this and not know, Animal Crossing is a life simulator set in a small town populated by weird talking animals with very strange wildlife and fossils (the fish, bugs, fossils of dinosaurs; live in completely different parts of the world in real life). I have not been playing the game regularly, instead I've been playing about once a week for an hour or two at a time. The game celebrates various holidays, including Carnival (yet another name for Fat Tuesday). To celebrate a peacock named Pavé shows up and wants various colored candy. To obtain the candy the townsfolk play various games like Rock Paper Scissors with candy as the prize if you win. The game would probably be more fun if I played in the day time but I tend to play it during the middle of the night (around 2:00 A.M.) after all the shops have closed. I've caught a lot of fish though.

I've played the Gamecube version and this version and am unsure which version I like more. It is basically the same game with a few differences. I would have liked them to have added even more stuff. I found it easier to obtain objects in the Gamecube version and the characters in the Gamecube version would ask you to do stuff more frequently (this version they keep asking for stuff I don't have and can't get like a green desk or something, in the other version they tended to make me run from character to character more frequently). This version does have the city, less sea bass, and somewhat better graphics though which is a plus. The thing that I liked the most about the Gamecube version as opposed the the Wii version was that you could play some old NES games in the game (they even gave you one when you first started playing), they appear to have gotten rid of this since you can now buy the games via the Wii's wifi connection (not really helpful since I don't see a point in paying for those games since I can get the originals cheaper used at some stores and am on dial up internet).

I don't generally read fan fiction based on video games but I did read a very good Animal Crossing fan fic called Lets Play: The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing. The fan fic is a different interpretation than what most people would think of playing the game. It is not a happy story at all, it is in fact very dark. I occasionally like reading dark, depressing, overly serious stories. I also have a tendency to notice the darkness in stories meant to be lighthearted or frivolous. In the actual game I've noticed somethings I consider dark. One thing is a gyroid runs the auction house; I've been contemplating, though haven't actually done, putting up gyroids for auction so that guy would be a slaver. Another thing is that the Happy Room Academy guy can enter the house anytime he wants and even says he has thousands of keys.

No comments: