I occasionally choose books to read at random while at the library. The thing that drew this book, Blood Lite edited by Kevin J. Anderson, was its title which is a pun of Bud Lite. The book is an anthology of twenty-one short stories. The stories are supposed to be humorous while set in a horror setting/containing elements of horror. I like stories that mix genres and since the stories are all short it is easy to read this book while doing other things such as waiting for someone/something. Some stories were good, others not so good.
Here is a list of the stories contained in the book:
01. The Ungrateful Dead by Kelly Armstrong.
- An okay story about a necromancer who is being bothered by a ghost and her humorous solution to the ghost bothering her..
02. Mr. Bear by Joe R. Lansdale.
- I did not like this story which is based on Smokey the bear.
03. Hell in a Handbasket by Lucien Soulban.
-This one was pretty good. A baby is delivered to hell in a basket.
04. The Eldritch Pastiche from Beyond the Shadow of Horror by Christopher Welch.
- A parody of H.P. Lovecraft's works about an inept writer who gets interesting fan.
05. Elvis Presley and the Bloodsucker Blues by Matt Venne.
- This one was just stupid, it's about a vampire Elvis Presley.
06. No Problem by Don D'Ammassa.
- A biochemist finds some very interesting journals of one his ancestors. Using the knowledge gained from he journals he finds a way to bring the dead back to life. This story was not bad.
07. Old School by Mark Onspaugh.
- Three pages long; to give any type of summary would give away the entire story.
08. A Sound of Blunder by J.A. Konrath and F. Paul Wilson.
- A parody of Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder". It's an average story about two idiot gangsters who read a book to solve a problem that they should not have read.
09. An Evening with Al Gore by Charlaine Harris.
- This is a really good story about what happens when supernatural creatures decide to go green.
10. Dear Prudence by Steven Savile.
- A guy attempts to writes a letter to his wife, it changes drastically on each rewrite.
11. A Good Psycho is Hard to Find by Will Ludwigsen.
- This story is based on chainsaw murderer flicks about two survivors who find surviving to be a thrill like no other.
12. High Kicks and Misdemeanors by Janet Berliner.
- I did not much like this story. It involves using Ostriches as assassins.
13. PR Problems by Eric James Stone.
- This story is pretty good about a ghoul who is upset about how ghouls are looked down upon but werewolves and vampires are viewed as being really cool.
14. Where Angels Fear to Tread by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
- I did not much like this story. Its about an office worker who is drafted to fight for heaven.
15. A Very Special Girl by Mike Resnick.
- This story was pretty good. A zombie falls in love with a very special girl and gives her three thousand dollars that was supposed to go to Benny Fifth Street. They then go to get it from the girl who while female is not human.
16. Love Seat Solitaire by D.L. Snell.
- This was pretty funny it's about a poltergeist who is not what it seems.
17. I Know Who You Ate Last Summer by Nancy Holder.
- A story about a couple cannibals who aren't as careful with their food choice as they should be.
18. Bitches of the Night by Nancy Kilpatrick.
- This is pretty good it is about Dracula and his brides. Life for Dracula is not a good as it seems.
19. The Bell... FROM HELL!!! by Jeff Strand.
- This is a rather interesting story about a guy who has a bell that he thinks is from Hell (whether it is or not is left unclear).
20. Dead Hand by Sharyn Mcrumb.
- A stock-car racing member uses Cherokee magic to bring a dead racer back to life to win for them.
21. Day Off by Jim Butcher.
- A wizard attempts to take a day off but doesn't get a break.