I have the vague inklings for a scene in a piece of fiction that requires one of the characters to have a very out of character moment so as to advance the plot and get the characters out of a rut they are in. In this instance it is for a Ranma fan fic and the action I want is for Ranma to kiss Akane. They have many near kisses in the manga and a few that don't count (mouth covered with tape, character was temporarily insane, etc.). They are bound to eventually manage to kiss without being interrupted. I have no intention of the fic being a Ranma and Akane shipping fic but them advancing their relationship to kissing and light petting would be beneficial to both characters and would make a later pairing I have in mind easier to accept and smooth out some of the potential problems. Both Ranma and Akane are not confident about relationships and both have very good reasons. The hanging out and going on dates aspect doesn't really bother either of them. Akane has gone on dates with Ryoga and implied to have gone on one with Ranma and Ranma has gone on a lot of dates for various reasons. Physical intimacy of any type even holding hands though causes them both problems. Interestingly since Akane is shown to be a pervert basher it is Akane who seems to have less problems with becoming physical than Ranma does -she has goaded him like after he was kissed by Mikado, teased him about it - like on the way home from the Romeo and Juliet play, she has dreamt about it -spring sleep incense, and implied that she'd be okay with it so long as they were in private - like her comment when she dragged him into a closet to hide from his mom and he thought that she wanted to go in there for a very different reason and hugs her. That said Ranma has clearly put some thought into it as well but is much more hesitant about it and of the two all evidence points to him having to initiate it.
I have come up with a number of scenarios in which Ranma would initiate the very first real kiss, which is the most important one. After that kiss, kissing will become a much easier thing for them both to do and while I find it unlikely for Akane to give the first kiss she would very likely initiate subsequent kisses. It would be a serious confidence boost for both characters as well and open up new avenues in their lives (Ranma for example would be a lot less likely to freeze up when Shampoo or Azusa kisses him - she did that in the manga).
Here are some of the scenarios I have come up with:
1. A joyous occasion in his happiness he grabs her up and kisses her. The reason I am hesitant to use this is because on the few times Ranma was really happy like after he got his strength back he did not do that (though it was actually what Akane seemed to be expecting since it looked very much like she was going for a hug).
2. A desperate situation such as immediately after being returned to a human after Akane was magically turned into a doll. Had the other characters not been around and interrupted I could easily see both of them making out after that; probably would of gone beyond kissing and light petting to a point that neither of them are ready for.
3. Magic or possession. This sort of happened in the actual manga but is not a solution I like. Feel it is too heavy handed.
4. Drugged. Given a hallucinogen such as LSD and kissing her in his inebriated state. Again more heavy handed than I would like and to likely for Akane to notice that he is out of his mind and therefore not likely to count it.
5. This is very similar to being drugged but I like it somewhat more. Ranma does extreme overtraining; mentally; physically; and spiritually (ki); which is something he has done in the manga. The self induced sleep deprivation, hunger, mild heat stroke, and various natural chemicals running through his body (adrenaline, endomorphines, etc.) cause Ranma to enter a mental state in which he can't tell dreams from reality (sleep deprivation, fever, etc. can result in hallucinations similar to those which can be gotten from psychoactive drugs like LSD) and he remains lucid enough for Akane to not be able to notice when he grabs her up and kisses her. With her the next day initiating a kiss.
6. A misunderstanding causes it. Something similar to Akane dragging him into a closet or some place private and Ranma thinking she wants something like that rather than whatever her real reason for doing so.
Drugs, extreme emotion, extreme physical state, etc. can and do cause people to behave in ways that they generally would not but while they can all be used to create a reason as to why a character is acting out of character for a short time none of them really fit for the story idea I am currently contemplating. I almost want to go with they are home alone and bored so one of them decides to initiate a kiss but that is extremely unbelievable. The solution I think would be the most interesting would be via a misunderstanding but can't think of a real good one.