Saturday, July 5, 2008

Internet Speed

There are websites that complain about how slow the internet speed is like speedmatters.org.The sites compare the United States' internet speed to other countries like Japan (fyi fastest internet). They talk about how access to high-speed Internet begets opportunities that improve the quality of peoples economic, civic and personal lives. They talk about how the United States is the only industrialized country without a national policy to promote high-speed Internet access. They complain about how the US spends less as a nation on Internet investment than many of its global neighbors, but its customers pay higher prices.

My internet download speed is 23 kbps-48kbps. I connect to the internet via dial up modem. I would like to have even the slow high speed internet connection that those sites complain about. I would like to acquire high speed internet but it's not available/costs too much. I'd get dsl or wi-fi but it is not available to my house. My house is a dead zone for some reason I can not fathom. I do not live in a rural area. I live in a very urban area. There are over 3 million people living within a 50 mile radius of my house. In fact my street alone has more than a thousand people living on it. Yet my house can not get dsl and receives no cell phone signals no matter which service provider is tried (not 100% true T-mobile sometimes gets 1 bar in one of the rooms). I could get cable or satellite internet but they cost too much and most require you get it for your television as well. I have no interest in getting cable television, I prefer to watch things on DVD,VHS, VCD, etc.

This leads me to spending little time online, since I also share my computer with others and require the use of the phone for it's primary purpose of receiving phone calls. While this does annoy me greatly, I still manage to do most of the things I want to online. I just save text, like fan fiction, for off-line perusal and check my email sporadically every few days. Most of the sites I go on are mostly text and I use ad blocking software to not download in page ads which would slow the internet even more. I also download the occasional large file via library computer (using a flash drive), using someone else's internet/computer, and download over night while sleeping.

No comments: