Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Abitibi Paper Recycling


In the area I live at there are these Green and Yellow dumpsters called Abitibi paper retriever. I like the idea. You drop in your junk mail, newspapers, magazines, miscellaneous paper and they recycle it with a portion of the profits going to the charity (i.e. place with the bin). Where I live they do not collect loose paper only bundled Newspaper in the regular recycling truck. I put a box in my basement and throw all my junk paper in there. Once the box fills up I dump the paper at one of the boxes. I drop them in three separate boxes, depending on where I happen to be going (I do not like making multiple trips). A fire station, a church, and a school. I really like the idea. I'm getting rid of paper that I'd otherwise throw away and helping a good cause at the same time.

According to the company, one ton of recycling paper saves 3 cubic yards of landfill space, 4,102 kilowatts of electricity, 60 pounds of air pollution and 70 gallons of water. They have boxes across the US, Canada, and the UK. There website where you can get more information is (such as locations) here: http://paperretriever.com/ by dropping your loose paper and newspapers into these boxes your both recycling the paper and helping local charities. If your neighborhood doesn't have a paper recycling box at the schools/churches/fire stations ask them to sign up with it as a way to better the earth and earn some money on the paper they would otherwise throw out.

No comments: