Thursday, January 17, 2008

Paypal Phishing

I don't know about you but the number of scam emails I've been getting lately has increased many fold. The thing is the email addresses that are getting them are not the ones I have easily found like the one in my profile. Most of those addresses don't even have a paypal account linked to them.

I rarely use paypal and don't really like it but haven't really looked into the alternatives. I know that there are problems with paypal like it not accessible to several countries, them closing/locking your account if someone complains or you sell something they consider offensive or someone makes a purchase with a stolen credit card. If I were to need a service like paypal on a regular basis I'd look into the alternatives because I don't think that paypal is the best, but I could be wrong.

Below is one of the scam emails I got. Most are caught by my spam blocker but this one managed to get through. I suspected it was an attempt to steal from me immediately but wasn't one hundred percent sure until I noticed that the link did not go to paypal.com (was only 95% sure prior to that). I didn't even click the link I checked the properties of the link and it went to some other site. I forwarded the email to paypals spoof mail and they sent me an email confirming what I already knew. I wonder how many people actually fall for these mails, some people have to else the people wouldn't bother sending them.

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. However if you are the rightful holder of the account,click on the link below to log into the account and follow the instructions.

address removed

If you choose not to complete the request, you give us no choice but to suspend your account temporary.

It takes at least 72 hours for the investigation in this case and we strongly recommend you to verify your account at that time.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as an other PayPal user.Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. PayPal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related attempts to missapropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request or law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

PayPal Account Review Department.

No comments: